What is the Privacy Legislation?
In Australia, the main piece of legislation governing privacy is the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act). This Act requires organisations to comply with 13 Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) which regulate the way in which private sector organisations collect, use, keep secure and disclose personal information. The APPs also give individuals the right to know what information an organisation holds about them and to correct that information if it is out of date or otherwise inaccurate.
Mentoring Men is committed to protecting your privacy and this includes ensuring that:
- All information collected from you is required for the purpose of providing the service you have requested;
- Your personal information will not be passed on to other unrelated third parties without your prior consent; and
- Your personal information is securely stored and accessible for your review on reasonable notice.
Why does Mentoring Men collect personal information and how is this information used?
Mentoring Men will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected unless you agree for us to use the information for other purposes. Mentoring Men uses the personal information to provide our services such as:
- Process applications for service or assistance;
- Bill for the services or events we provide;
- Establish and maintain relationships;
- Review the effectiveness of our existing programs and assist with research and development of new programs and services; and
- Meet Government funding, professional and legal requirements.
What personal information does Mentoring Men collect?
The personal information that we may ask for will depend on the type of relationship you have with Mentoring Men. Examples of the types of information collected include:
- Your contact information such as name, address, email address and phone number;
- our financial details for payment of services or events; and
- Specific information, directly relating to a service we provide.
How do we protect and store your information?
Mentoring Men will endeavour to take all reasonable measures to securely store your personal information either in an electronic or physical form and to keep this information up to date. Your information is stored in secured premises or in electronic databases that require passwords and logins. These measures are taken in order to protect your information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or unauthorised disclosure. All personal information that is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected or that you ask us to delete is destroyed unless we need to keep it for legal reasons.
Will your information be disclosed to others?
Our purpose in collecting information about you is to provide you with services we offer, at you request. Mentoring Men does not routinely disclose personal information and without your consent. Mentoring Men will not disclose any information about you for any purpose other than the reason it was initially collected unless:
- We are required to do so by law eg. for law enforcement or investigation purposes;
- To protect the rights, property or personal safety of you, another client, any member of the public or MM;
- The disclosure is required in order to assess your application for volunteering opportunities, to accept your donations, or to reply to a specific request that you might have;
- The assets and operations of the business of Mentoring Men are transferred to another party as a going concern;
- The disclosure is required for the management of health services; or
- The disclosure is required for compassionate reasons.
In all of the above circumstances, Mentoring Men will only disclose your personal information in accordance with applicable legislative requirements.
What happens if you refuse to provide the information requested?
How do you request access to the personal information Mentoring Men holds about you?
At any time, you can request access to the personal information we hold about you by writing or emailing us directly at the contact details below. We will give you access to the personal information we hold about you as soon as reasonably practicable after receiving your request. If at any time you wish us to change your personal information that we hold on record as it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us at the contact details below.
Where we collect sensitive information from you, such as information about your health, we comply with the privacy requirements applicable to such information. We may contact you at the email or other address which you provide to us in order to provide you with updated information about our services. If you are receiving promotional information about Mentoring Men and do not wish to receive this information any longer, you may remove your name from our distribution list by contacting us at the contact details below and asking to be removed from our mailing list. Please allow 28 days for this request to be processed.
Information collection on our website
For statistical purposes, Mentoring Men collects and stores the following information about visitors to its website:
- Server address;
- Date and time of visit;
- Web pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- Previous sites visited; and
- Type of browser used.
We will record your e-mail address if you make a donation through our website or if you send us a message. This message could be:
- To make an inquiry to any of the email addresses of Mentoring Men to give us feedback on our site – we use this to administer and improve our website; or
- To subscribe to Mentoring Men communications.
Mentoring Men is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any third-party site that is linked to our website. Your activity on third party sites is governed by the privacy policies of those sites.
Our donations page is secured through use of PayPal. The information collected and retained relating to donors will include the following:
- Amount of the donation;
- Transaction date; and
- Name and contact details;
as completed on the donation form.
For more information contact:
T: 0400 606 768